Friday, January 16, 2009

Hungry For Sex?



In the interests in full disclosure, I would eat
McDonald's nine times out of ten over Burger King. However, I want you to understand that this has nothing to do with my intense confusion and anger over the fabulous new ad campaign. Yes, I am putting forth my two cents on "whopper virgins."

Let's forget for a second that this ad campaign is the work of a company that also created the facebook application, "Whopper Sacrifice." An application, that I took advantage of, which was responsible for more than 230,000 people being dropped as friends for a free whopper coupon. In case you are curious, people had to drop 10 fiends to get the whopper so that's 23,000 whoopers are equal to 230,000 relationships. But let's be honest, we can all find at least 10 people on our list of "friends" that could be dropped and we wouldn't even notice. So anyway, let's forget that for a second...

Burger King paid an ad company to send small teams of Americans to "exotic" locations in order to determine the favorite burger. The other of course being the Big Mac. So, I'm sure the ad campaign doesn't even have a hint of being offensive...

Let's get to my main complaint. The use of word "virgin." Yes, I know by definition it is correct and yes, it was the goal to be edgy and controversial by using it but here's the problem. It is very dangerous to combine two completely separate human urges. If you don't understand this then you need to watch more Seinfeld to appreciate what I mean.

Keep in mind the two reasons we go to these same "exotic" countries. We take every ounce of oil, pound of minerals, and remaining precious resources and then force them to buy our high-priced finished goods. It's like killing a buffalo, skinning it and leaving the meat on the ground, and then selling it back to the buffalo's family at the cost of a week's worth the food. Yea, it's just like that.

I'm not saying that McDonald's is much better.

1 comment: